2011 Contest Calendar
Welcome to the Snag Today Writing Contest. Any type of original short story, essay or other work of prose is eligible. Prizes totaling $75 will be awarded including a top prize of $50.
Submission Period: Entries accepted November 1, 2010-January 31, 2011. (postmark dates). Early submission is encouraged.
What to Submit: Short stories, essays, or other works of prose, up to 4,000 words each. There are no restrictions on style or theme. Each entry should be your own original work. You may submit the same work simultaneously to this contest and to others, and you may submit works that have been published or won prizes elsewhere, as long as you own the online publication rights.
Prizes and Publication: First Prize: $50, Second Prize: $20, Third Prize $5. Winning submissions will be featured on our homepage and posted in our featured articles section.
Entry Fee: The reading fee is $5 per entry.
Eligibility: Only Snag Today members ae eligible for participation. Membership to Snag Today is free.
Deadline: All entries must be postmarked by January 31, 2011.
How to Submit: Entries must be submitted via mail. To enter by mail, please include a cover sheet with your submission. It should include your name, address, phone number, email address and the title/s of your entry. It is not necessary to provide word counts for your entries. Entries should be typed or printed by computer. We prefer white, letter-size paper. The 12-point font size is ideal. Please avoid fancy, hard-to-read typefaces. Include your fee as a check or money order payable to Snag Today. Entries will not be returned, so please don’t send your only copy. Please clip everything together and mail your submission to:
Attn: Editor Snag Today Writing Contest
8688Thornbrook Terrace Pt.
Boynton Beach, FL 33473
Announcement of Results: Winners of the contest will be announced on February 15, 2011. Results will be posted on the Snag Today homepage at http://www.snagtoday.com. Additionally, all Snag Today Members with a valid email address will receive email notification.
English Language: Writers of all nations may enter. However, the works you submit should be in English. If you have written a work in another language, you may submit an English translation.
Copyright: If your entry wins any cash prize, you agree to give Snag Today a nonexclusive license to publish your work online. You are free to publish your work in print or online elsewhere, and to enter it into other contests, whether or not you win a prize in this contest. The author retains all rights to the work submitted.
Thank you for choosing the Snag Today Writing Contest. We look forward to reading your submissions.
Whispering Angel Books is now accepting submissions for its next anthology. The deadline is March 15, 2011.
Nurturing Paws will focus on the physical, emotional, and spiritual healing power that animals have on our lives. Each piece should be uplifting, inspirational and based on a true event. Stories about all animals are accepted; they do not have to have paws.
Short stories, personal essays or poems. Please title your piece.
Typed, written in English, and less than 1,500 words.
Submissions for our anthologies are accepted by email only and will not be returned. They can be attached as a Microsoft Word document or included in the body of the email. Stories and essays should be double-spaced. Poetry may be single spaced.
Multiple submissions will be accepted.
Previously published material is accepted if you have retained your rights or have written permission from the previous publisher.
There is no fee to submit your work and no obligation to purchase any books. If your work is selected, you will receive one free copy as compensation. You will retain all rights to your work, but you will need to sign a release for publication.
GRAND PRIZE: $1,000
2nd PLACE: $100
HONORABLE MENTION (3)
ENTRY FEE: $4
DEADLINE: March 31, 2011No restrictions on content, style, genre or length. Flashes,
novel excerpts, experimental, mainstream, literary, noir,
romance—all types of short fiction are welcome. Simply send
your best unpublished work by email or snail mail.
All Five Finalists Will Be Published in
The June 2011 Issue of Gemini
We publish both new and established writers. Everyone gets
a chance. Two of the three winners of our fiction contests
were previously unpublished (see below).
TO ENTER BY EMAIL: 1. Click “Donate” and pay the $4 entry fee.
(“Security code” is on back of credit card; if you didn’t
receive confirmation number, transaction was not processed)
2. Paste confirmation number and previously unpublished
story into body of email and send to:
email@example.comNO attachments. Do not include bio—just your story and
contact info. Enter as many stories as you like; $4 fee for
each individual story.
2 stories = $8
3 stories = $12
4 stories = $16
10 stories = $40
TO ENTER BY SNAIL MAIL: 1. Mail entry with $4 check or money order, payable to
Gemini Magazine, to:
Contest, Gemini Magazine, P.O. Box 1485, Onset, MA 02558
(include $4 for each additional entry)
postmark deadline: March 31, 2011
Leapfrog 2011 Fiction Contest. Adult fiction: literary and mainstream, novels, novellas, and short-story collections; minimum 22,000 words. Awards: Publication contract offer with advance, plus finalist awards: $150 plus manuscript critique by finalist judges. Entry fee: $30. Deadline: May 1, 2011. Info: www.leapfrogpress.com; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Purple Dragonfly Book Awards in children’s literature – 35
What to Enter
The contest is for Adult Fiction. Any novella- or novel-length work of fiction, including short-story collections, not previously published* is eligible. The minimum length is 22,000 words; there is no maximum length.
* Previously self-published books that have no more than 200 copies in circulation will be considered “unpublished” and may be submitted. Short stories that have been published in literary journals may be included in collections.
How to Enter
1. Email email@example.com. The subject line should read “Contest entry: manuscript title.” (use actual manuscript title). Please use the full title, or as much as possible. In the body of the message, include your full name, address, email address, and the book’s title. Please do not include any biographical information.
Attach your entire manuscript as a single text, Word, or PDF document. Use the title of the manuscript as the file name. Please do not call your file “mybook.doc” or “leapfrog.doc” or “manuscript1.doc” etc., as it will be indistinguishable from the 10s of other submissions so titled.
If illustrations are included, make sure the file size is not greater than 2 MB. If your file is larger than that, please email for instructions on how to send.
Manuscript format: we are not picky. Just make it readable. It is important that no personal information be included in the attached file: Please do not put your name or address in the page headers or on a title page. Use only the book’s title as identification.
2. Entry fee: the entry fee is $30. This can be paid through PayPal, or by check to:
Leapfrog 2011 Fiction Contest, PO Box 2110, Teaticket, MA 02536. If mailing a check, please be sure your name, address, and manuscript are on the check or legible on the envelope, or else written on a piece of paper enclosed. This allows us to match checks with entries.
To pay with PayPal, click on the button below.
You will receive an email acknowledgment when your manuscript is received. Please allow two or three days for the acknowledgment.
Have you written an uplifting and inspirational book manuscript?
Whispering Angel Books is now accepting submissions for its first manuscript contest. Entries should be powerful and life-affirming stories, poems, or essays demonstrating the resilience of the human spirit over adversity. It is open to any subject matter.
The winner will receive a standard publishing contract with Whispering Angel Books and 30 copies of their book at no charge to them. The winning manuscript will be available for sale on the Whispering Angel Books website and through online booksellers, including Amazon.com. The author will receive royalties from any subsequent online sales.
There is a non-refundable $25 reading fee. By submitting your manuscript, entry form and fee, the author agrees to be bound to our terms and conditions. Manuscript submissions are accepted only by mail. Please do not use the anthology submission link above to email your manuscript. The file will be deleted.
Your manuscript must be:
- A single, non-fiction biographical or autobiographical story OR a collection of poetry or personal essays;
- Minimum length of 50 pages, no maximum;
- Previously unpublished as a manuscript (individual poems/essays may have been published);
- Original work written by one author;
- Written in English, typed, submitted on 8.5×11” paper, paginated, and bound by brass fasteners (brads), spiral or comb binding, or binder clip;
- Double-spaced. Poems may be single-spaced;
- Mailed with your entry form and payment or PayPal payment confirmation;
- Postmarked by June 1, 2011 and mailed to:
Whispering Angel Books
2416 W. Victory Blvd #234
Burbank, CA 91506
Payments by credit or debit card are accepted via PayPal. Please include the name of your manuscript in the text field. A copy of your payment confirmation will ensure your payment is properly credited to your manuscript
To Enter the Contest
Short Story Contest
Scribes Valley Publishing
6824 Drybrook Lane
Knoxville, TN 37921-7312
- Current deadline: July 31, 2011
- Short stories word limit: 5000 words.
- Cover page: author’s name, mailing address, telephone number, e-mail address, approximate word count, and optional author bio. For electronic submissions, this information should be included at the top of your story in the uploaded file.
- Subsequent pages: title, last name, and page number at top.
- Snail-mailed submissions: typed, single-sided, font size that doesn’t require a magnifying glass.
- Send copies only as materials will not be returned!
- Entry Fee: $8.00 US per story (nonrefundable). No limit on submissions. If entering by mail, please include check or money order payable to Scribes Valley.
- You can submit your manuscript on-line using the link above. The entry fee ($8.00) can be made securely on-line by credit card.
- Please proofread your submission for spelling and grammatical errors.
- Include a SASE (if entering by snail-mail) if you would like a reply from Scribes Valley. We usually send the judge’s rating sheet if your entry is not chosen for publication.
- We try to notify authors by email when their entries are received. If you do not receive notification, drop us an email.
Hello and Welcome to Dream Quest One Poetry and Writing Contest! This poetry contest and writing contest is open to everyone and international. We are excited about showcasing the creative writing and poetic talent, skill and ability of all poets and writers. We hope that you have the inspiration to display the beauty and art of writing short stories and poems for the entire world to see your “gift of a dream.”
Writing Contest entries may be written on a maximum of (5) pages, either neatly handwritten or typed, single or double line spacing, on any subject or theme.
- Poetry Contest entries may be written on any subject or theme. All poems must be 30 lines or fewer and either neatly handwritten or typed, single or double line spacing.
Please read the “Official Rules” for more in-depth information.
*Deadline is July 31, 2011
There is a $10.00 (US dollars) entry fee per short story submitted and a $5.00 (US dollars) entry fee per poem submitted.Contestants may enter via PayPal or through the mail. An entry form is also available in the “Enter Now“ section.