WordPress has these daily prompts that help bloggers come up with topics to blog about. Sometimes they fit my audience and I use their prompts, sometimes I don’t. One of the prompts for last week was: “You’ve being exiled to a private island, and your captors will only supply you with five foods. What do you pick?”
To me that’s a one sentence answer: Steak, shrimp, pico de gallo, fried plantains and something to wash it up. But it got me thinking on this verse where Jesus said :”It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ Matthew 4:4
What are the five spiritual foods that we need, not only on a deserted island, but every day of our lives?
- Prayer– In order to fill our lives with the presence of the Lord we need to pray. Think about any relationship in your life. If you don’t talk to that person, you don’t get to know them, you don’t get to spend time with them. Prayer is the way to communicate with God.
Philippians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.Colossians 4:2 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
- Read the Word of God– To live under God’s will we need to know exactly how to live this gift of live that we were given. I hear people all the time saying that they don’t know what God wants from them. Here’s the thing, God gave us a manual on how he sees things, expects things. In this book he portraits who he is, how he feels about us and what live he wants for us to live and how to do it. The book is called The Bible.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 – All scripture given by inspiration of God, and profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness
Joshua 1:8 – This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success
- Worship– When we worship the Lord we place ourselves in his presence. We were created for worship. I don’t know about you, but nothing fills my heart of joy and peace like entering in a place of worship with the Lord.
“Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.”
- Fellowhip– God didn’t create us to be an island. There’s a lot of us and it is for us to fellowship with one another. We are to love each other, encourage each other, pray for each other and help each other. By this I’m not talking about acts of charity, I’m talking about everyday life. Yes, the insane obnoxious coworker/neighbor, the teenager with an attitude, the messy spouse, the rude client/customer service person and the prideful acquaintance.
John 17:23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may knowthat you sent me and loved them even as you loved me.
- Love-The two most important commandments we have to comply with are related to love. First, love God our Lord with ALL our hearts and then love others as we love ourselves. Everything is born out of love. Practicing love everyday in everything we do will nourish our lives.
Romans 12:10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.
I leave you with this banquet. I would love to hear your thoughts.
Posted on February 23, 2015, in Articles, Inspirational Thoughts and tagged Bible, christianity, fellowship, food, God, Inspirational Thoughts, Jesus, love, Naty Matos, postaday, prayer, prompts, Religion and Spirituality, worship. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.